Monday, June 21, 2010

Hello. I'm Here.

Well we got home from Virginia last Sunday night and I jumped right into working, and all those other things that happen during the week that suck up time like a dry sponge. 

What HAVE I been doing the past week?  I don't even know... 

This trip really exhausted me, so I've been falling into bed and sleeping hard every night... dragging myself out of bed in the morning, literally not being able to keep my eyes open long enough to get the coffee started.  Isn't that interesting?  No?  Well, that's my excuse for not posting.  :)

The tournament was amazing.  I spent a lot of my time in the library atrium of Regent University watching Luke and Sarah play and freezing, freezing, freezing!  I think the A/C in that place was set to like 30 degrees or something.  When I got a break from babysitting I watched speeches.  And blinked in awe.  For a girl like me who can't speak in front of a crowd to save her life and has always been of... let's say "average" intelligence :) the things I saw these kids do was astounding.  Talent by the bucket loads, and I'm not even exaggerating. 

Just for a little taste...  This is the Duo Interpretation that won first place.


I was actually in the room watching this exact performance and when they were done Mom and I turned to each other with huge eyes and said "WOW."  These kids are AMAZING.  It's a little intimidating to be surrounded by so much talent, let me tell you. 

I wish I could explain more about what NCFCA is...  but I know I wouldn't do it justice.  If you are interested you can poke around the website and see more of what it's all about.  There are so many different speech categories that I don't really know all of them, not to mention debate.  I got an opportunity to watch some "Persuasive" speeches, and that may have been my favorite part of the event.  I saw 8 students give speeches that they had researched, written and performed themselves on whatever subject they felt strongly enough to speak on.  The whole point is to be able to persuade the judges of your point of view.  I saw speeches on everything from Sarcasm to Homosexuality in the Church, Autism, Being a "Doer", Gun Control, Terrorism...  I was in awe.  They all persuaded me. :) 

We also got to do fun things like go to the beach, visit Monticello, Richmond, swim in the pool (or, in my case, watch Luke and Sarah B, swim in the pool) :)  It was a good trip.  Long, but good. 

But, as always, the best part?  Coming Home.  :)

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow, what a fun skit (or whatever it's called)!!!

Rachel said...

THEY WERE AMAZING. Oh, I haven't laughed that hard for a while, man.

Cleanhousewithkids said...

Happy to hear you're back safe and sound, Rebecca! And those kids were something else. "WOW" is right!!

Kiri said...

Welcome home! I just got back from a week long trip, too, so I totally understand your lack of enthusiasm for posting. Why is it that vacations usually require a week of recuperation afterward? :P But a week at Hilton Head is worth it... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails