Monday, May 17, 2010

Sink or Swim?

This blog is at a crossroads.
"To be or not to be?" That is the question.

Maybe you've noticed (maybe you haven't) that there hasn't been a lot of activity in this cyber corner lately.  The fault is entirely mine.    I don't have any fabulous excuses.  Nothing exciting is happening in my life.  I'm not refraining from blogging because I have big secrets I don't want to share.  Sorry. 

So, why haven't I been blogging? 

Good question.  I've been asking myself this exact question the past couple of weeks.  I think I have some of the answers but they aren't great reasons.  I'll share some of them.

1.  I'm a very private person.  Introverted.  For that reason alone blogging has always been a challenge for me.  It's also been a growing experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.  But, the fact remains.  It's hard for me.

2.  I have this idea in my mind that my blog is meant to be a place of encouragement for other single young ladies like myself.  This is assuming that there ARE other single young ladies like myself.  There may be a few.  :)  Part of my struggle is that it's hard to be encouraging when you yourself are very discouraged.  And I am.  I might as well admit it.  It's just a phase I'm going through.  I'll bounce back sooner or later, I know.  But, meanwhile, I have a hard time opening up and writing about it.  I hope that's understandable.

3.  I'm busy.  SO BUSY.  I do not like being busy.  I wish everyday were full from beginning to end with things I love to do and that I had plenty of time to blog all about them.  But, I don't.  Posting on my blog 5 days a week requires a time commitment of about 2-3 hours per week.  This doesn't count the time I spend thinking up posts.  I rarely have that much of a block of time to work on my blog.  So, when I do publish 5 days in a week something else suffers.  Usually housework.  I don't especially like housework.  But, boy do I hate having a messy house. 

4.  Nothing changes.  I feel like I should have new and interesting things to blog about.  And I don't.  And that is discouraging to me.  And that's all I'm going to say about that.

I don't want this blog to sink.  I want to swim.  But, I hope you all understand (if you're still hanging around reading) where I am right now in my life.  I'd really like to make a concentrated effort to bring this blog back to life.  But only if you guys want me to.  I know there are plenty of blogs out there.  If mine is a place you enjoy visiting let me know.  And if there's anything you want to see, any suggestions, I'd be happy to take them. 

Sink or Swim?  I'm voting Swim, but I need a direction to swim in and maybe some flotation devices for when I get tired, like right now.  :)

post signature

11 comments:

Bekka-Reeeeeeee said...

I do enjoy reading your blogs...your writing style is very conversational & easy to read. I also thoroughly enjoy the book reviews! :-)

Rebecca said...

Well, I'd say swim, too, but that's just me. :)

#1--I like your posts on fashion. You have a unique way of putting outfits together that is incredible!

#2--I completely understand what you're saying about nothing changing in life. I feel like my blog is boring sometimes for that very same reason. I don't have any cute kids to talk about every day. Plus, I'm not a great photographer. I don't even have any sisters. :)

#3--Could you do some posts on decorating with flowers, either outside or inside? You could use that expertise because you work in a flower shop. I clean for a family who owns a florist and have worked for them on and off for years. I think it would be great to learn from you how to take grocery store bouquets and make them into something fabulous. Another idea would be how to design your own planter. I mean, I could do either of these things but I bet you have some great ideas to make simple {and cheap} things like that even better.

#4--I also understand the discouragement phase. It is a phase and it will pass. I have another single friend from church and we talk about how the weirdest things set it off -- like a Sunday night after church, a gorgeous evening, etc...Get this--we have four weddings in three weeks at our church. How's that for discouragement? :) So, after the first wedding {this Friday night}, we're having a single girls' planning party for the summer. Maybe that's something you could do with your sisters. We're each going to bring something that we'd like to do, the date that it occurs, and the price. Trust me, most of us don't have very much $$ either. Our ideas will {possibly} include bowling, bike riding in Chicago, a free outdoor concert, celebrating 2 girls' 30th bdays, etc...

Oh, I hope you don't sink the blog but would understand if you chose that option! Have a great week!

Rachel said...

I personally l.o.v.e your blog. Your almost-whimsical style is one of my favorites. And you're real! You write and live and think like you're real. Not just a "modest, feminine, and submissive" spokesperson. You live it. :)

AND you like Lemony Snicket. HUGE plus.

I like hearing your thoughts, too. On the bigger issues and on little observations you make!

So..... swim? Pretty-please-cherry-on-top?

Sarah~ said...

Definitely Swim! I love reading your posts...and hey I feel the same. I don't feel like my posts on LJ are encouraging, I think of my blog entries as a way to remember normal life happenings and if somebody wants to comment they can, and if they don't that's ok to....and by any chance my life looks wonderful, it is full of hardness and sadness too along with peace and inner joy. I go to bed a lot just wanting to cry my heart hurts so bad. I struggle with lots of questions, just don't really feel that comfortable talking about it....but maybe I should. You're not alone with your thoughts.

Serena said...

I love your blog, but I do understand where you're coming from because I feel like I'm at the same crossroads.

I am inspired by your fashion posts and I LOVE your book reviews! but, I pretty much just enjoy anything you write, even if it's just "Hello, I've been so busy!" Oh, and whenever you bring up food and show pictures of what you've made, my mouth starts to water...

Anonymous said...

SWIM!!! I LOVE your blog!!!
I really like your fashion posts and lots of pictures!

Please keep going:)

Anonymous said...

I say SWIM! :-) I love your posts! And promise to comment more often. ;-)

I like: your fashion posts, your book reviews and your posts on anything and everything.

Kiri said...

I really enjoy your blog! My favorite posts are probably your book lists. They give me ideas for what to read myself, and that's always fun! I'm also a bookie... I'd love to see more full book reviews.

I also enjoy your garden and house posts, and the little tidbits of everyday life that you share. Though I totally understand about being personal on the web, and often find myself struggling to find that line with my own online use. Your fashion posts are fun, too.

On another note, I'm also a single daughter and one that is now "old" (i.e. past the years that I would have spent in college had I gone :P). I appreciate hearing the thoughts of another young woman on home, decorating, uncertain futures, trusting God, hobbies, etc. I really appreciate your openness! Your blog had been an encouragement to me.

Whatever you decide to do with your blog, I've really enjoyed reading here for the last year or two. Thanks so much! You'll be missed if you stop!

Cleanhousewithkids said...

I say a definite, "Swim!" though I would understand if you'd want to shut it down. I imagine blogs take a TON of time, but you do an admirable job of posting interesting pictures and updates. I check your blog every couple days, and am always thrilled when there are new posts.
By the way, bravo on your last few posts. They were muchly appreciated, and thoroughly enjoyed.

Melinda said...

Please do keep posting. I am also a single young woman and I love reading posts from other ladies who are honest about the struggles and disappointments of being single. I understand that it can be difficult to be honest and open about challenging situations...but please know that when you and other ladies post about being single...it is an encouragement to me. :-)

Victoria said...

I've only just seen this post since I too have been a bit distant from the blogging world but my first stop, as always, is here so cud ya SWIM?...pretty please SWIM...swim like you've never swam before cause I LOVE this blog!! In fact it was this blog which got me bloggin in the first place and as much as I'd understand if u decided to call it a day, I just wanted you to know that right down to the little short liners you post ALWAYS put a smile on my face.

I always like your posts on your opinions on stuff, triumphs and trials!...hmph...anything really :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails