Friday, January 15, 2010

Helping Haiti

When I was growing up there was a little cup woven out of grasses sitting in our bathroom.  It had a little flower on it and the word "Haiti."  I remember clearly the day we got that little cup.  The person who gave it to us said "Every time you see this, PRAY for Haiti."  I was so young at the time, but I remember it so clearly.  I don't think I did pray for Haiti every time I saw that little cup, or smelled the potpourri my Mom put in it.  But, I did see it often, and I did pray often.

The last few days after hearing the horrendous reports and seeing the heart breaking pictures of the destruction in Haiti, that little cup has been forefront in my mind.  I see it everywhere now.  And I'm always praying for Haiti.

Imagine not knowing where your children are.  Imagine having no home, no water, no food, surrounded by death...  

What can we do to help?

There are many organizations you can donate food and money too.  There's a list of them at the above link.

If none of those work for you I suggest finding a local church that might be doing a food and clothing drive.  Donate your time to help them sort and pack supplies. Or donate money.  $5 can go a long way.  Maybe you have some extra canned goods laying around.  Extra clothes?  Go to Goodwill and fill a bag for people in Haiti who have nothing.  Or, just a bottle of Tylenol, or a case of water could make a huge difference in someone's life.

I encourage you to do whatever you can for Haiti.  Even if it's just a little thing, DO it.

As JJ Heller says:
I'll be praying for the widow
All alone, sewing clothes for a loaf of bread
It is not my fault that she is hungry
It's my joy to make sure she's fed.


It's the little things that make a difference
It's the little things that show love
It's the little things 
A simple cup of water
That can change the world
That can save our sons and daughters

And above all.  PRAY for Haiti.  Put "Haiti" on your refrigerator, computer, or phone.  Somewhere you'll see it all the time.  (Maybe a cup in your bathroom?) And pray for the people of Haiti.



post signature

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails