Monday, October 19, 2009

Book Haul

Shopping at Borders after church on Sunday. :)  First a yummy lunch at Panera during which Debi and Katie and I yacked about books.

I picked up:
The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner

Ok, I'd like to know who read this book as a child.  If you have, leave me a comment.  I'd forgotten how much I loved it.  I probably haven't read it in 18 years, but as I looked at the cover it all came flooding back to me.  The characters, plot line, funny stories... the whole thing.  Man, I loved that book.  I'm hoping my little brother Luke will love it too.


The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie

Ordinarily I like to buy my Agatha Christie books in lots from E-bay.  I can get 10+ books usually for about a dollar a book.  I don't worry about getting duplicates of books I already own because usually these books are old and sometimes in very bad condition.  So, I keep the one that's in the best condition.  If I have two that are in good condition I'll give one away.  Or, keep saving them until I have enough to sell my own lot on E-bay.
But, back on the subject.  I picked this one up because I really want to read it.  *shrug*


A guy was playing guitar in the coffee shop while we book browsed.  He sounded amazing, so once I'd found what I was looking for I peeked around the corner to watch him work his magic.  And it was.  Just. Like. Magic.  Fingers flying.... For some reason watching such genius at work made my heart happy.  I decided to walk away before someone noticed the goofy grin on my face and classified me as a lunatic.  I was having August Rush type feelings.  August Rush, by the way.... I.... LOVE.

After Katie was done shopping I dragged her over to "see this guy playing guitar, it's amazing" but she got distracted by another genius musician who happened to be walking through the bookstore and stopped to chat with her.  Oh, the life of a talented musician who knows other talented musicians...

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've read the Boxcar Children but I don't remember too much about the book series.

My absolute favorite book series as a girl & teen was the Cherry Ames series. Ever heard of it? Cherry was a nurse in the '40's {think World War II, the greatest generation, etc.). Incredible!!

Abutton said...

I read a few boxcar children books. My grandmother had an entire shelf of them in her library, but I never got through them all.

Unknown said...

I read the Boxcar Children when I was little. I loved the first book especially...It seemed like the greatest adventure to get to play house in your very own boxcar!

Valerie said...

My Aunt read ALL of the Boxcar Children books to us kids. More than once, I believe. And then I read them to myself.

Yeah, I like them. :)

Kourtney Ann said...

My older sister read some and told me all about each one when she got done with it. So I never really read them, but I know most of the story:D

Kiri said...

I loved the Boxcar Children when I was little! It was, unfortunately, a short lived love, though, for I discovered my mother's collection of Nancy Drew in 2nd grade. And suddenly the Boxcar Children were replaced... I still have fond memories of them and I'd like to reread them sometime. They were my first mystery addiction. :)

I also love Agatha Christie! She's a relatively new to me, but I can't get enough of Tommy and Tuppence. Gotta love a husband and wife sleuthing team!

marmaladeinstead said...

My mom read the first Boxcar book to me... after that I read all the rest of them on my own. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails