Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Movie Review: August Rush

A little Musical History:


-Katie: violinist, plays in orchestras, Handle, Baccherini, understands theory, probly would have gotten along well with Vivaldi...

-Me: plays piano, (notice I didn't call myself a pianist, I'll save that title for people that actually deserve it.) I'm one of those people that believes music is an art. So, I treat it in the same whimsical fashion that I treat all the other artsy things in my life. I disregard pattern, throw in some color, and slap it together hapharzardly and decide the finished product is original and therefore "artistic." Where other people may say "imperfect" or "amateur" I prefer "impressionistic" or "conceptual" :)

-Steph: took piano lessons once upon a time. Loves music. Her instrument is the CD player.


ok, on to the movie:


The story is this: A young cellist and a rock star wannabe meet at a party. They hit if off right away but are seperated the next day. Note: there is a reason my little brother won't be watching this movie. It has what we call "other" or "fast forward" scenes. :) Also, more swearing that I'm really comfortable with, although, it is only rated PG. Eleven years later their son is all alone in an orphanage.
Social Worker: "How long have you been here, Evan?"
Evan: "Eleven years, 16 days... I've been counting"


His name is Evan and he dreams of finding his family and insists that he can hear them through music. He is certain that his parents love him. He sets off on his own to find them. From this point on the movie takes an "Oliver Twist" turn. Complete with a Fagan-like character, who instead of teaching the boys how to "pick a pocket or two" teaches them to play their music on street corners. The movie revolves around Evan, and his parents, living separate lives, all trying to find each other. Will the music bring them together?

ok, so sounds corny? well, it is...

So, we walked out of the theater...

Me: (who by the way, started crying half way through the movie, wiping tears as we exit) "That was sooo good... actually, you know what??? it was really corny!"
Katie: "No, it wasn't! I loved it !!! It could totally happen."
Steph: "Eh... yeah, it was ok."

So, if you're a music lover, you'll love it. Otherwise, you'll probably laugh... just warning you...



7 comments:

Incomplete said...

Hmmm, 'bout time. Took you long enough, Archy. Keep it up. Next time you'll do even better. I know that it is foreign ground that you are tredding on, actually expressing the opinion that everyone knows you have. Oh, by the way, that's your best blog face ever!

Rebecca said...

you confuzzle me, Ty... what do you mean? just exactly what opinion did I express that is so foreign and my name isn't Archy.... ???????

Anonymous said...

So...maybe Luke's not going to watch it, but is it "good" enough for Joe and Lyds?

Rebecca said...

hmm... Lyds I think has seen it. Joe will too probly.

Like I said. more swear words than I remembered....

Tricia said...

Thanks for the review, Rebecca. I almost saw this...I probably will eventually. I really like Keri Russell, and Freddie H. is pretty cool too. The story actually sounds half-decent.

Incomplete said...

archy-as in Arch Nemesis, and usually when you voice your opinion, you pull your punches; "Oh, it was aweful, but they tried so hard and they did a really good job" haha. That's funny, they tried so hard at doing an aweful job. Hahahaha!

Rebecca said...

did I say this movie was awful? I don't remember that...

I call things what they are....

Related Posts with Thumbnails