Wednesday, December 09, 2009

My Thoughts on Twilight

The Twilight craze is sweeping the nation.  Not being the type of person that runs out to read a book or see a movie the second it becomes popular I didn't mind admitting that I had no personal experience with Twilight.  To be perfectly frank all I had to hear was the word "Vampire" and I knew Twilight had no interest for me.  I held this stance for a couple of years.  People asked me "Have you seen Twilight?" Me: "Um, no, I'm not into vampire movies." Fine.

But, with the release of the second movie, New Moon, Twilight has once again become very common conversation.  Only this time around, instead of just getting the "Have you seen it?" questions I was starting to get "What do you think?" questions.  From young girls, from parents of young girls...

I don't like to give an opinion on something I haven't seen or read.  In some cases I'm completely comfortable with saying "I haven't read it/seen it myself, but I know I won't because of 'such and such' theme."  In this instance I was beginning to feel like I needed a little something more to go on.  I was bothered a little bit by the amount of people (especially young girls) following this craze.

So.  I watched the movie the other night.

And, (aren't you lucky) I'm going to tell you exactly what I thought.  Please don't be offended if my opinion differs from yours.  This is my blog and I reserve the right to publish my opinions here.  If your opinion isn't the same as mine it doesn't mean I don't like you or think you're stupid.  It just means that I believe in my opinion enough to share it with you.

So, Twilight.

My first impression was this:

Bella has zero social skills.  Within a day or so of moving to Forks and starting at her new high school she acquires a group of friends.  I honestly don't know how this is possible.  She almost never talks to any of them, they all talk and she's always off in another world, paying no attention to their conversation.  In fact, she avoids conversation in the most obvious ways.  If someone approaches her she often responds with a monosyllabic answer and beats a retreat ASAP.  I wonder if she's supposed to be shy?  She comes across as stuck-up and arrogant.  I bet I could count on one hand the number of times she actually smiles in the movie.  Yeah... I can see why Edward is attracted to her.

When Bella goes shopping for prom dresses with two of her "friends" she spends most of the day staring out the window of the dress shop and giving half-hearted "that looks good" comments to her friends.  Even her friends laugh because she gives them the same opinion on every dress they try on.  She's so obviously not paying attention or even caring much what her friends wear to prom.  Honestly, I wouldn't take her dress shopping with me...

At one point, Bella is forced to be mean to her dad so that he will let her go, which is imperative since her life is at stake and so is his if she's near him.  After breaking his heart Bella feels badly and looks melancholy for a minute.  I kept waiting for her to break down and bawl but it never happened.  But, honestly, they didn't have that great of a relationship before.  She treated him with the same cool aloofness she gave her friends.

Edward.  Um, creepy stalker?  Seriously.  He practically haunts Bella.  He stares at her, is always telling her to "stay away" from him, but won't leave her alone himself.  He follows her everywhere (but, it's ok, because he says it's because he "feels protective")  He even climbs in her bedroom window and watches her while she sleeps.  (But, that's ok too, because he says it "fascinates him".)  He admits that when he's with her it's all he can do to keep himself from killing her.  Romantic, huh?  Yeah, someday I hope to fall in love with someone who wants to kill me, too. 

About three-quarters of the way through the movie I was wondering "What is the draw here?"  Why are so many people enamored by this?
Here are the things I've heard are the supposed "good points" of Twilight.
  • Robert Pattinson, (Edward) is kind of cute, I guess.  If you like the anemic, violent, angry looking type. 
  • Edward and his family are mild as vampires go.  They don't survive on human blood, instead they restrict themselves to only drinking the blood of animals.  Wow.  That makes me feel so much better.
  • There's evidently some kind of pro-chastity message in the movies/books.  I don't really see it.  Edward and Bella share some passionate kisses and it's evident they would go farther except Edward is afraid he won't be able to control his passion and may kill her.  Now, there's a real reason to save yourself.  Especially if you're dating a vampire.
  • Edward saves Bella's life several times.  I think the whole movie is made up of him saving her life.  Now, I'm certainly as much excited by the romance of that as the next girl.  Prince Charming rushing in battling evil to save a girl's life is exciting.  But, is it at all realistic that Bella encounters near-death experiences 6 or 7 times in the space of 90 minutes?  Edward has amazing strength and speed and that's pretty cool.  But, then again, Superman has amazing strength and speed too, and he uses it to save Lois Lane's life plenty of times but as far as I know he never fantasized about drinking her blood.
  • Aside from the times when Edward is staring at Bella with his intense, crazed stalker eyes, he is a perfect gentleman.  He always opens the car door for her.  Aww...  How sweet.  I wonder.  Are girls today so starved for a little proper affection and respect that a nice gentlemanly act like opening a car door would make them willing to date someone that wants to kill and eat them?

  • Edward  refuses to turn Bella into a vampire even though she insists that she wants him to and is "Ready."  Honestly, I think it's just the author's way of making room for 3 more books.  
  • The one positive aspect of the film that I found was Edward's "parents" especially his dad.  (The "mom" is somewhat underdeveloped.)  Vampire though he is, he manages to live as a respected member of a human community without being weird about it.  You won't find him giving the intense, stalker vibes that Edward is constantly putting across.  When Bella's life is threatened Edward's dad pulls the family together and they risk everything to protect her.  As he says "Bella is with Edward, and we protect our family."  It may mean losing everything they've worked to build but there's a strong sense of family unity and fighting for justice that is always a positive message. 


I'm aware that Edward is a vampire.  I'm aware that vampires live on blood and that if Edward didn't have blood to drink he would die.  So, therefore this kind of message is acceptable?  WRONG.  The scary thing about this message is that it's all too real.  Take out the vampire element and Edward is an intense, possesive, murderous stalker.  And there ARE people out there like that who do not have the "I'm a vampire" excuse.  Do we really want our young girls to get the impression that it's ok to date someone like this?  Bella is not afraid of Edward.  This makes Edward love her.  But, really, shouldn't she be afraid? Shouldn't she avoid him?  Shouldn't she run away like he's the plague even though he does open the car door for her and habitually saves her life?  Girls, there are better guys out there. 

Imagine Bella explaining her new boyfriend to her dad "He's really sweet, he watches me while I sleep, he follows me everywhere, he knows he's dangerous and isn't really sure he can control himself enough to be around me without murdering me, but it's ok, because he's a vampire and I'm not afraid of him."

Obviously, Bella cannot explain this to her dad (or anyone else for that matter).  He wouldn't understand.  So, she has to keep it a secret.  Which brings me to my biggest beef with Twilight.  Do we REALLY want to encourage this kind of mentality in our young girls?  The "my parents won't understand, so we have to hide it from them," mentality.  For the sake of argument let's again pretend that Edward doesn't have the vampire excuse.  He's just the intense, possessive, murderous stalker.  And somehow, someway, he's able to use all these bad qualities to pick up a quiet, introverted, secretive girl.  Isn't that a recipe for disaster?  Aren't those the guys we tell girls to stay away from?  Aren't these situations EXACTLY the reason that we promote and encourage communication between kids and parents?  If so, then WHY is a story with the exact opposite message so popular?

Tales of forbidden love have held a special place in our hearts since Shakespeare and Romeo and Juliet.  And my heart melts as much as any other girls' over these stories.  Um, Lorna Doone?  *sigh*  But, the question I have to ask is: "Aren't some loves forbidden for good reason?"



post signature

15 comments:

Melinda said...

Thanks for posting about Twilight. I have never watched the movies either...but sounds like I would probably have the same opinion of it that you did.

rahraht said...

Amen Sister..Preach it!! :)
Especially the "they won't understand, so I'll keep it a secret".

Anonymous said...

I've never seen them. But thanks for posting about it. I didn't plan on watching them.
Thanks for posting about it:D

Victoria said...

BINGO. I read them for much the same reason (haven't really seen the movies) and came to similar conclusions. And I know girls who have made themselves into Bella and fallen for someone like Edward. not the Edward they think he is, of course, but the Edward that you, and I, saw.

Miss Deb said...

*thumbs way up*

I think alot of people overlook some of the concerning elements in this solely because of the slight few elements that might be okay, or are at least perhaps a teeny bit better than other stories, such as the lack of sleeping together till mariage.

Still, you have excellent points. Thanks for posting this :)

Victoria said...

I so agree with you Rebecca and so glad you've done a post about it. To be honest I hadnt seen or heard about Twilight previously (or wanted to what with the whole 'blood sucking vampire' thing...not really my cup of tea!) But it has taken England/UK by storm and EVERYONE is talking about it. Ive heard many girls / young women looking up to these characters....so sad :(

Abutton said...

Thanks for posting your opinion, Becca. I knew next to nothing about the story before reading this, and I must say, I am incredibly dissappointed. The worst part is that it is presented as clean and good, and takes careful consideration to find the deception.

Mac said...

Thanks for posting Jak! By far one of the most enjoyable articles I've read on the subject thus far! It probably wasn't your intention but you made me laugh! Keep up the good blogging!

Incomplete said...

Hey, awesome post. You're best yet.

It's funny that you should bring this topic up, because Laurel and I have been talking about it.

Something comes to my mind, as I was reading your thoughts about the obsessed murderous stalking paramore: I wonder if girls are enticed by the control that Bella has over Edward? Because he IS allowing himself to be controlled by the girl. And it sounds like she's fine with that. Do girls want to have that same effect on some young man somewhere, to be able to drive him completely and totally crazy?

It's a proven fact that girls want to be treated like ladies(i was going to say royalty but we already know the answer to that and that is another and much too dangerous discussion to have here) and that most girls AREN'T treated like ladies, because for so long they have been taught that everyone is equal and that there is no difference between boys and girls. But instictively, they know otherwise, so when the Byronic character comes along, who cares if he's a beautiful murderer.

Nicky Story said...

Becca - loved your post. I have seen the first movie and am probably going to see the second. But I totally agree with your perspective. And Susie - I agree - I laughed quite a bit... There is a real pull on many people with regards to this craze - and I proud of you for watching the movie and giving your opinions based on that. I think it's important to connecting with the conversation to be able to say more than just "I don't like vampire stuff...". So 2 thumbs up from me! :)

Anonymous said...

Gee thanks Tyty, knowledge must be power...it's a deep dark secret that I even happen to have read part of Twilight, okay? Not something that is posted on the internet!!

Good post, Jak! Sometimes I think we are willing to put up with the little errors, or things we don't appreciate about Twilight, and read them anyway. It's when we read posts like these -- where everything is summed up so nicely, that we realize the good doesn't outweigh the bad. That it's not one mistake, or one thing we can overlook, but an entire attitude that is in the series.


I haven't seen the movies because I always held that books were better than movies, but instead I did start reading the books.
I have 2 thoughts:


1. There is something about the writing that seems to suck you in, and before you know it you are sacrificing cleaning your room, taking care of dishes, bible time, etc. to be able to read more. BAD. VERY BAD.


2. It's the things I don't know about in Twilight that scare me the most. I know stalkers are bad, so that doesn't affect me. I know snotty attitudes towards parents/lying, so I'm fine with reading about Bella doing that. But it's the undercurrent of something dark that is in the books that I object to. I can't seem to put my finger on it, but I was talking with a group of christian friends, and we all agreed that there was a something in the books that really bothered us. I almost want to say its a spirit, but I'm sort of afraid to be that bold....whatever it was, it was something decieving and sneaky and it bothers me that I didn't see it coming until I saw it in myself.

The End.

Thanks for allowing me to rant :)

Good post.

Lady Dvora said...

Merrill, i couldn't agree with your assessment more. There IS something odd about those books! I've glanced through them at the library and....I can't come up with specific examples, but there is something uncomfortably wrong.

Rebecca, thanks for laying it out so nicely!

Rachel said...

You go girl! Way to present the points!

Miss Alice said...

Excellent post. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I read the Twilight books a couple years before they became popular, and before the movies came out. The movies are not well done at all, but the books are very good. I think that people cut down this type of thing, because they assume that the people who are watching/reading it, are going to end up believing it and following it like it's a religion. This isn't true at all. A lot of people who read the books/watch the movies are fans, but they don't practice the movies in real life. Just like Lord of the Rings has many die-hard fans who admire the values of the movie. How much did those values change thier lives and the way they live? Well, I doubt they had any affect. A movie is a movie. It's just a movie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails