Monday, March 29, 2010

Book Reveiw: When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me is the  2010 Newberry Award Winner.  

It is really hard to review this book without giving away plot points.  Because, really, the best way to read it is to have absolutely no idea what you're getting into.  Half the brilliance of this plot is the reader trying to figure out (right along with Miranda, the 12 year old main character) what in the world she's supposed to be figuring out.  

Set in the 1970s it's something of a mystery, with coming of age elements, and a little sci-fi thrown in for good measure.  And really, I don't know what else I can say without ruining it.  I'll just move on to the other things I wanted to say. 

I have mixed feelings about Newberry books.  One the one hand, I expect great things from a Newberry Award Winner.  They're supposed to be awarded to the "Most Distinguished Contribution to American Literature for Children."  So, I have high expectations.  Which is maybe not the best frame of mind to be in when you open a book.  It just makes disappointment all the more likely.  

To be clear, I have not read all the Newberry books.  I haven't even read most of them.  Which is why I'm making "Read As Many Newberry's As Possible" one of my goals this year.  

To date I've been much more familiar with the Newberry Award books of an older era.  The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Johnny Tremain, The Whipping Boy...  Books that make you understand the meaning of the phrase "Most Distinguished Contribution."  Books that really DESERVE that kind of medal by teaching valuable lessons.  Books that have made an impact on society.  I can't say I see those sorts of qualities in the more recent Newberry winners.  But, it's too early to really make that judgment yet.  

On the other hand, well, I believe there's been a sort of "dumbing down" of American Culture.  So, when I pick up a book with a shiny gold sticker on the front of it, I'm simultaneously preparing myself for something above average, and at the same time something significantly less of a product then say, for example, The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare (1962 Newberry). 


So, with all that in mind, here's my thoughts (and remember it's all just my opinion).

First off, I hate it when there's language in kids books. HATE being a strong word, but yes, I really mean it.  It aggravates me immensely that a book with language can be considered "Most Distinguished Contribution."  I will readily admit that nothing in this book is not something any child could hear by turning on the TV or walking out their front door.  Swearing has become a part of our culture and I myself hear it often enough that I'm beginning to become immune to being bothered by it.  Which, in itself should bother me more.  The most aggravating part?  That this sort of thing has become so common that we are now handing out prestigious awards to children s books with language in them when 30 years ago, that very element would likely have excluded a book from even being considered for such an award.  

I also grimaced a bit over the romance elements.  We're reading about 12 year olds.  Come on.  Do they really need boyfriends and girlfriends?   I won't go into that now.


But, on to the good things.  I have good things to say, I promise.  :)  I am a huge fan of  minimalism in words.  It's all so... natural.  Like seeing everything for yourself instead of through someone else's eyes.  So, I like Stead's writing style.  A lot.  I liked the whole format of the book.  Short chapters, just enough information to make everything necessary crystal clear.  Not a lot of word-y stuff clogging up the pages.  As the Newberry judges said: 'Every scene and word is "vital to the plot."'  Um, YES.  :)  I love that.


I'm kind of in awe of this book.  I'm surprised that I was surprised at the surprise ending.  :)  I'm loving the little glow in my chest that means I just read something special.  


But, if we're being totally honest, than yes, I enjoyed the book.  Yes, I'd probably recommend it if it weren't for the language.  But, would I have given it a Newberry?  No.  Probably not.  I think Newberry's should teach something; make a difference, or at least an impact.  


When You Reach Me has it's profound moments.  Like when Miranda observes that  "Trying to forget really doesn't work.  In fact, it's pretty much the same as remembering." Or when Belle says "It's simple to love someone.  But, it's hard to know when you should say it out loud."  (But, in all fairness, Stead is really just stealing that from the climax of another Newberry Book A Wrinkle in Time.  She even says so.)  And there's the whole self-sacrificing element.  And the taking responsibilities for your actions element.  All very good stuff.  

On the whole, a very nice way to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday morning.  In your pajamas, of course, because as Stead also says "Pajamas are good for the soul."  I'm totally with her on that one. 

post signature

6 comments:

Maureen E said...

For me, I'm not as bothered by the language. I went to public school for eight years. I suppose I would hesitate over giving it to a child, especially if they hadn't gone to public school for eight years. :) While I did enjoy the story, and the Wrinkle in Time references, I also wasn't enormously touched by it. I enjoyed it. I didn't love it. And I feel like I should love the Newbery book (often I don't).

Are you including the Honors books in your Newbery readthrough? I feel like often they're better than the one that actually won the award.

Actually, I might join you in this read-through, if you don't mind.

Rebecca said...

oh Maureen please do join me! I'd love it! I really want to read as many of the honors books as I can, too. I agree... I've read a lot of Newberry Honor books and LOVED them..

marmaladeinstead said...

You just blogged about one of my favorite topics!!! :) Last fall I printed out a complete list of the Newbery award books (winners, and honors too), and made it my goal to read all of them. :) I haven't finished yet (by a long ways!) but I've read a whole bunch ranging from the very earliest days of the award to the very most recent. I've liked a lot of them. I haven't liked a few of them. A good number of them have been profoundly moving and, in some cases, very difficult reads. Events or people described in some of this literature has moved me to tears; sometimes I've had to set down the book and take time to recover before I can go on-- and these are kids books! Some of the content would prevent me from EVER giving the book to a young child ('Out of the Dust', 'The Giver')--but given adequate age/maturity level are a gentle and not quickly forgotten way to introduce kids to the "realness" of a world scarred by sin AND to the hope and truth that persist in such a world.

There you have my thoughts on that. :)

(The official Newbery website notes that "children are defined as persons of ages up to and including fourteen." ...Discerning the maturity level of fourteen-year-olds can be tough, I think. :))

marmaladeinstead said...

Oh and Becca! Have you read 'The Westing Game'? It's another Newbery book and I think you would love it!

Kiri said...

I HATE language in children's book, too! (In all books actually, but it seems so much worse when it's marketed to children.) Language ruins the sweet, childish elements that I love about children's fiction and instead makes a book into a reminder how far our culture's standards have fallen. I also struggle with becoming desensitized by it, and I'm working hard to not allow that to happen. It's so sad that I even have to worry about it.

However, I do love children's lit! I especially love the older stuff and classics. And Nancy Drew, of course. :)

rebecca said...

What a good idea! I think I'll start reading through the Newbery books too! I'm an early childhood education major and am trying to find all the best children's literature to use in the classroom--and hopefully with my own kids one day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails