Sunday, April 01, 2007

Stormy Weather...

I spent an hour on Saturday night in a storm shelter with 400 other people. I went to see Fiddler on the Roof with some of my sibs, but before the show a tornado touched down in a town north of us, so we were all herded into the basement of the theatre.
I had a lesson in human nature...
  • Some people didn't even want to enter the basement. Instead they stood on the steps.
  • Some were nervous, excitable.
  • Some were calm, cool.
  • Some got slap-happy.
  • Some were quiet.
  • Some started a rousing rendition of "The Chicken Dance."
  • Some made a thousand calls to the weather station.
  • My sister pulled out a book and started reading.
  • Another sister started a conversation with a lady next to her.
  • My brother invented possible escape routes for every room in the basement. (In case we got stuck down there :-)
That was all while we were in the shelter. All in all everyone was in general good humor. No rioting. Until we were allowed to go back upstairs and into the theatre. THEN, I got stepped on, pushed aside, seperated from my group... I guess the "good humor" ran out...

Anyway, it was a good show!!!!!!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an experience!
So were you praying through it all?
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Do you have to telleveybody I read a book?
BUT after delaying the performce for 45 minutes the actors did the best production they had ever done and shaved 10 minutes off their best performace time!!!
~Nack

Rebecca said...

well, Kristi, I was praying... but mostly because I was battling claustrophobia! I was trying very hard to breathe!!!!!
And yes, the actors did an awesome show that night!!! Really awesome!!! Probably the best one!

Incomplete said...

I was hearded into a basement once. It was the library. I read a book too. I don't think that there where four hundred people though. A little claustiphobia and seperation anxiety is good. Builds character.

Anonymous said...

I really laughed when I saw that Joe started making escape plans for everybody...I can see it happening.
Nack, the minute I read that a sister pulled out a book I knew it was you. Don't feel bad, I think I'd do the same thing :D
Sounds like the play was really great! I wish I could have been there to watch it with you.
-Merrill

Erica said...

Even if she hadn't said you were reading a book, if we'd thought about what everybody was doing, we could've come up with that! We know you, Nack! :)

I hear I live in "tornado alley" but it really hasn't been an issue as far back as I can remember. :)

Sounds exciting! :)

Erica

Related Posts with Thumbnails