Friday, June 29, 2007

Nancy Drew

If you had been in a theater in my hometown a few nights ago, you might have heard me mumbling under my breath during the opening credits of the movie.
"Please don't change Nancy Drew, Please don't change Nancy Drew..."
Then you might've heard my sister elbowing me in the rib cage and saying "SHHHH!!!!"
I'm not sure why she did that tho' since the only other people in the theater were in our group.
Anyway, I went to see the Nancy Drew movie. I was very nervous. Nancy Drew has a special place in my heart. I have many fond memories of curling up under a blanket or laying on my front lawn with a Nancy Drew book in my hand. I love Nancy Drew. I always have.
So, like I said, I was nervous.
But, I was very pleasantly surprised!
The script writers DID change Nancy. They made her 16, and a peppy over achiever who likes "old fashioned things".
Nancy has been a smart, but mostly serious 18 year old girl for 75 years!!
Despite that, though, the movie makers did manage to keep the overall feel of a Nancy Drew book. I can't tell you how many times I elbowed my sister.
"Of course, there's always a haunted house"
"Chloroform. The bad guys always use chloroform when she gets kidnapped"
"I love the high speed chases in Nancy's blue mustang roadster"
I think my sister wished she had sat next to someone else.
My favorite line: "I just hate it when people try to kill me. It's so RUDE!"
So, all in all, I liked it. It was pretty good even though the Nancy Drew I saw was this one.

Maybe someday I'll write my own Nancy Drew screenplay. But, my screenplay will be about THIS Nancy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAAAAA! That is NOT Nancy Drew! o_0

So is it set in mondern-day? It must be, from the look of that picture.

~VB~

Anonymous said...

i saw a commercial for the movie a while back and wondered whether they were going to stick to the original Nancy - thanks for the review!

Meghan said...

I think Nancy Drew has a special place in everyone's heart...I think that's why I still play Nancy Drew computer games in my old age. I still think they should make an authentic Nancy Drew movie (I am still waiting for more "Anne" movies)...write on flowershopgirl...write on!

--AnneGirl

Serena said...

That's the Nancy I picture, too. So, did they completely eliminate Bess and George?

Rebecca said...

yeah, they pretty much eliminated Bess and George. They had a little bit of time at the beginning, but they werent' in most of the movie. Ned was, tho.

Katie said...

You have to have Ned!!! After all he is "the guy"

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your comments about the movie! I'm not so afraid to see it now! I'm a Nancy fan from way back so I was a little apprehensive. Now I just need to get to the theater...:-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails