Monday, December 03, 2007

Windows

More than 70 years ago a man walked down the Main Street of a small town in Ky. He was a big city business man. Wandering up and down this little town something caught his eye. He crossed the street to admire a shoe store window display. The more he looked... the more he liked what he saw. He entered the shop.

"Excuse me, may I please speak with whichever of your employees it is that designed that window display?"

The clerk replied: "That would be Bill. Sure, I'll tell him you're here."

Before long Bill appeared. He was a tall, lanky young man. Quiet, calm, cautious.

"Hello, Bill. I represent the Sears and Roebuck, CO. I understand you're responsible for that window display?"
"Yes... I designed the window." Bill replied.
"Well, I think you did a fine job, Bill. Fine job. I like it a lot. Tell me, you did it all on your own, did you?"
"Well, yes, that was my job."
"That's fine, Bill. Bill, I'd like to offer you a new job. How would you like to move to Wisconsin? I've got an opening in one of our shoe departments there. Lots of room to move up. And I think you will, Bill. You've got the talent. What do you say?"

Bill had to think about it, but in the end he decided to take the job. He moved north, married and raised two sons. And he managed the shoe department at the Sears and Roebuck, CO. until he retired. By then, he had grandchildren. And great-grandchildren.

Fast forward 75 years. One of Bill's great granddaughters works at a Main Street florist in a small town in WI. Her boss asks her to design a window display for Christmas. Several days later, a group of women walk into the shop.
"Is your boss here?"
"No," the great granddaughter answers, "is there something I can help you with?"
"Yes. Who designed your window?"
"Well, I did," The girl replies, a little embarrassed.
"Well, congratulations!! You just won first prize in the Holiday Window Decorating Contest!!!!"



I apologize that I don't actually have any pictures of the first prize window. These pictures are the window I designed this year. It won 3rd place.

8 comments:

Erica said...

Who woulda thunk that window designing was a gene?

Way to go, Becca!

Anonymous said...

3rd place is nothing to sniff at. :-D Cangratulations!

~VB

Anonymous said...

What a great post - great story, great pictures! Congrats! :-)

Bethany said...

What a nice story! Congratulations on placing again this year!

Mac said...

*sniff* I miss Grandpa!

Kristi said...

Wow! Many happy returns to you!

(...I was trying to think of something original to say there, but I don't know if that summed it up... Oh well.)

Congratulations!

Serena said...

What a wonderful story! Congratulations on your win! And, what a great window display!

Tricia said...

GREAT story!! And I really like the window display!

Related Posts with Thumbnails