Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Painting the Kitchen Red

"So, you're Renee's daughters?"
We sat at a table, stitching (and ripping) mermaid costumes and making small talk with homeschool moms and daughters.
"Yes!" we're happy enough to admit
"And you're the oldest 3?"
"Yes, we are"
"So, how do you girls like living on your own?"
"We like it a lot"
"Didn't you paint your kitchen red?"

so, the truth comes out... this is what my mom tells her friends. 'My daughters moved away from home. They painted their kitchen red'
"Ummm... yeah (a little sheepishly) we did..."
Homeschool mom laughs. "My daughters moved out on their own... they painted their kitchen red too!"

AH.... so it's a trend...

It's all quite funny, really. It's not as if we're doing anything truly crazy. Painting the kitchen red is not at all symbolic. There are no allusions toward painting the town red. It's just the kitchen. That's all.

We're just young, and we're trendy (sort of)....

6 comments:

Katie said...

Actually I think they asked if we painted the kitchen red and mom said yes... I don't think she volunteered the info.

Anonymous said...

Red is a great color. when my husband and i got married,(my first experience besides college living away form home) we promptly painted our dining room red, and when i was describing it to my mom the conversation went a little like this…
“what? red? you painted it red?” like it was unfathomable as to why I would paint my dining room red :)

Shannon said...

funny....i've been trying to convince someone around here that we need to paint one wall - JUST ONE - in our kitchen red. I'm thinking the one the sink is against, since that is the one I spend the most time looking at...so far he's totally opposed....something about this place being a rental and all...

Mac said...

Maybe people think of it like "painting the town red" ?

a lady at work was teasing me about being "young and hip" because I had a red purse....

Valerie said...

I think a red kitchen sounds extremely fun! There's nothing wrong with a colorful home. ^_^

Moriah A. said...

I like colorful rooms! And a red kitchen sounds awesome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails