Thursday, September 25, 2008

Fresh Salsa

I should have shared this recipe way back at the beginning of the summer, and I kept meaning to but never got to it... sorry!
I'm celebrating because my grocery store just started stocking my favorite tortilla chips!  Plocky's Red Beans and Rice Tortilla Chips  so, so yummy... especially with fresh salsa so here we go...

I absolutely LOVE fresh salsa.  The wonderful thing about it is you can make it however you like it. 

Here's my base recipe:

Vine-ripened garden tomatoes, diced
1 whole onion.  diced. I like red onions myself, but this time I used a white one because it was all we had.  You can really use whatever kind of onion you like. 
1/2 jalapeno pepper (depending on the size of the pepper) diced very finely.  Garden peppers are prefered of course, but if for some reason your garden and peppers didn't get along very well this year (*sniff) you can use the store bought kind.  I guess....


1 Handful of cilantro, chopped finely.  I don't care how much it costs, fresh cilantro is TOTALLY worth it.  Don't even think about using the dried kind in the shaker.

1 clove garlic, diced very finely

The juice of 1/2 a lime. or a whole lime.  whatever.

Salt and Pepper to taste.
Whatever other seasonings you like.  I like to use cumin, spike, sometimes a little brown sugar... whatever I'm in the mood for.

So, that's my base recipe.  You can add whatever you like from here on out.  Here's some suggestions:
Black Beans
Corn
Raspberries
Green Peppers
Yellow Peppers
Have fun with it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, those chips look yummy! I need to see if a store here sells them! Your salsa looks great - I LOVE fresh salsa. I could live on just fresh salsa and chips all summer long. Your suggestions of adding peppers, black beans and corn are great but raspberries? That's interesting! Though, it's probably pretty tasty. I had watermelon salsa this summer and though skeptical at first, it was SO good! :-)

Lady Dvora said...

I LOVE THE BACKGROUND!!!!

oh and fresh salsa too....*licks lips*

Kourtney Ann said...

I really like the new background and profile picture!

Mmm that looks really good!
In our house that would be considered Pico-da-gillo (I'm not really sure that that's how you spell it, it's Spanish:P, but it's pronounced Pee-co-day-gi-o). You call it salsa or "Hot sauce" when you blend it in the food processor.
We are allot further south then y'all so we may call things by a little different names, but it's the same thing.
Personally I prefer Pico (like the kind you made:D), but salsa is amazing too!

Kristi said...

oh yummy. i look forward to being able to eat onions, peppers and spice again. meanwhile, i'd rather have a happy baby... :-)

Jodes said...

Oooh yum! And not too late for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere and just going into summer!

Related Posts with Thumbnails