Tuesday, September 09, 2008

New Gadget

As you may notice there is a new gadget on the top right of the blog.  My "followers" list.  *ahem* 

Here's how that happened.  My friend Maureen became a "follower" of my blog.  I didn't know what a "follower" was until I saw in my dashboard that she was one.  Of course, I don't mind at all as Maureen is awesome.  :)  So, I saw this little option to add the followers list to my blog.  So, if any of you want to become "followers" you can do it too, and be like Maureen, who as I mentioned before is awesome.  :)

The whole "follower" concept is cracking me up... but if you're a reader and a blogger, this is actually a pretty cool new thing that blogger is doing.  Maybe you already know about it. 

It's basically a reader.  You can subscribe to the blogs that you want to keep up with by becoming  a follower.  You can follow publicly or anonymously, it's up to you.  Any time any of the blogs in your following list are updated Blogger will let you know right on your dashboard.  You can actually read them right on your dashboard. 

Personally, I've always been a fan of Google Reader, which I would recommend to anyone that has a google address.  (If you have g-mail, you will have a "reader" tab way up at the top of page in between "photos" and "web", that's your google reader, you can subscribe to whatever blogs you want to keep up with, and open your google reader and see which ones have updated and read them right there, or go to the blog itself.)
However, if you don't have G-mail, or you don't like Google Reader, or don't want to use it, or can't figure it out (me before Katie helped me) or just want to try something new, try Blogger's new "Following" feed.  It could definitely be a good thing. 

Oh, and I'm noticing that the site meter on the left of the screen isn't working.... not sure what's up with that.  I'll work on it :)

3 comments:

MaureenE said...

I'm glad to know I'm awesome! :D

Actually, I'm still trying to figure out how following blogs works with Reader. I set it up to work as a feed in Reader, but I'm not sure I like that. I wonder if I can change it.

Erica said...

I've used blogger's reader for a bit now, and really like it. I think I currently have twenty-four blogs there, so it's a lot handier than visiting each one of them every day!

I'm a "follower" of your blog too. :)

Valerie said...

I'm glad you explained in detail what it meant. My idea of a "follower" is Jem Hern on Cranford. :P

Related Posts with Thumbnails