Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What's in a name?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this.  I like to name my belongings.  Ok, not EVERYTHING.  Just the expensive and meaningful ones that are closest to my heart.  My car, computer, etc.  Is this strange?
I have some theories.

Perhaps it's my mother-nature that has long been unfulfilled.  You know?  Like, I don't have any children to name and nurture so I'm releasing all the pent-up mother-feelings on the only things that truly are MINE.
OR
I have an over-active imagination.  *looks around* ok, SHHH... I DO sometimes talk to my named posessions.  But, don't worry.  They don't talk back.  Yet.
OR
I've read too many old books.  You know in old books everybody names everything.  Heroines name their pianos.  Heros name their gallent steeds.  (Granted everyone names their horses, but still... I don't have a horse to gallop bravely on, I have a car to ride bravely in.  Same difference, right?)

Actually, any of the above theories is quite plausible.

So, please tell me someone out there has named their computer.  Maybe your laptop would like to meet my laptop?  Laptop play date?  My laptop is 6 years old, but I only recently adopted her.  Her name is Tuppence.  Stop laughing.  I spent a long time picking out a name for her.  I think it's very fitting.  After all she helps me find things all the time.  We're a regular pair of detectives.  And besides, my sister wouldn't let me name her Nancy Drew.

My car is 6 1/2 years old and deep blue.  His name is Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey.  (Just Wimsey for short)  Because I had a crush on Lord Peter when I named him.  And because the Wimsey family motto is (quite fittingly) "As My Wimsey Takes Me."  Wimsey has taken me many places.  Although, mostly just to work and back.  Wimsey and I have been through LOTS together and I love him.  Wimsey takes much better care of me than I take of him.  Which reminds me, he needs an oil change...

When I was the "Machine Cleaner in Residence" at DQ I spent many a long and tedious morning taking apart, washing, rinsing sanitizing, drying, lubricating, re-assembling and washing the ice cream machines.  We spent so much time together that I became sort-of attached to them.  I was like their mother, you know?  If anything went wrong guess who was the first one on the spot and knew just how to fix them?  Moi.  So, naturally, I named them too.  We had two at the time.  The big double-header I named Tante.  She reminded me of the stereotypical big auntie with lots of sweets to dispense.  Or, in this case, soft serve ice cream.  She was also the most finicky and tempermental.  Not that Aunties are finicky and tempermental.  She just was.  The other single header machine I named Pip.  I don't actually remember why.  It might have been short for Pipsqueak.  Or, I might have recently finished reading Great Expectations.  Come to think of it, I'm sure that was it.

That's one of my weaknesses.  The minute I finish a book I love I want to name something after one of the characters.  I had a cat named Cosette (Les Miserables) once.  And of course a dog named Bella (Our Mutual Friend).  Wimsey was named during my Wimsey stage.  (Ok, not actually OUT of that stage yet.).  And of course, Tuppence... well, I'm always in an Agatha Christie stage.  After I read The Count of Monte Cristo I named my piano Valentine.  Which name only stuck for a month or so.

Anyway, when I left DQ I handed the job of "Chief Machine Mechanic" over to my brother.  Within 2 months he had RE-NAMED MY MACHINES!  Can you believe it!?!  of all the nerve!  And even worse...  prepare yourself.  He put absolutely no thought or imagination into naming them at all.  I'm pretty sure he just said the first two names that popped into his head.  Pete.  and Leroy.  Uh huh.  I joke not. 

I have other belongings that are close to my heart and yet to be named.  It's a serious matter.  A lot of thought has to be put into it.  It will be interesting to see how long it takes me to name my children. 



My coffeemaker for instance is red and adorable, so I'm thinking of calling her Florence.  Don't try to follow the logic.  There isn't any. 

And my phone!  What should I name my phone!  It's almost never more than one layer of denim away from me.  It's my lifeline, my texting machine, my clock, my connection to my family and my organizer.  I keep my "to-do" lists in it, my grocery list, my half started articles, my random thoughts that need to be captured before they're gone for ever into nothingness.  I couldn't live without my phone!  She needs a name!  Help!

6 comments:

Mel said...

Rebecca, I too name my possessions! My car is Lizzie (sort of named for Elizabeth Bennet, but also because she is a Ford Laser, and therefore Lizzie Laser sounds good!) :^) My laptop is named Harry, for Harry Kennedy from the Vicar of Dibley, he is such a sweetie. My ipod's are called Alec and Lucas. It is essential to name some of your belongings!

Jodes said...

Yes!

I am yet to name my phone, but many other things have certainly been named... My car is Hermione Hyundai (I was in a Harry Potter phase at the time...), My computers are Fred (I think originally it was the first name that popped into my brother's head when he built the computer for me, but since then I have upgraded and it still had to be Fred) and Richard III (because my previous laptop was called Richard and my current one is the third laptop I've owned...). My iPods are Percy and Ricky...

You should hear Mel and I talking about our inanimate objects by name! :P

I like Florence for a coffee machine. Perhaps my next phone shall be Geraldine (after the Vicar of Dibley)

Victoria said...

Haha I love your honesty! That’s been a not so well kept secret of mine...I name everything! Surely it’s only natural.

We've just sold our old car, Pip Pip and yet to name our new one...it has to come naturally you see :) My phone is called Gassy mobile (not sure why) and our computer Zizi Haven (once again...I have no idea why).

Whatever names you pick, pick names which make you smile...cheap thrills! :)

Kristi said...

When I was still living in NE, I had a car that I named Frank. I don't remember how that name came about, but it suited.

Haha. Josh is sitting on the floor behind me, playing with cars and singing, "Happy birthday to you". How cute!

DaveWick said...

So my Larivee guitar is Rosie.

I don't think anything else I own has a name.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I love naming things, too! I don't have any technology of my own yet, so I just name my clothes. ;) Mostly the things I make. So the purse I made last week is called Darcy. And I talked to the fabric while I was making it.

I know a girl who has a laptop and ipod named Whitman and Carl, or the other way around. And when I get a laptop, he'll be called Matthieu, unless of course it's a girl.

I love people who name their possessions! :)

Elizabeth,
Lydia's Friend

Related Posts with Thumbnails