Monday, February 01, 2010

January Book List

 1. Lord Edgeware Dies by Agatha Christie (****)  Pretty good.  I did think the answer seemed obvious, but...  maybe not.  :)

2. As You Like It by William Shakespeare (****)  I'm helping my brother with his Shakespeare class.  (rephrase that:  He and I reading Shakespeare together IS the "class")  Tons of fun!

3. Peril at End House by Agatha Christie (****)  I love the surprise ending of this one.  :)

4. Jeeves and the Tie That Binds by P.G. Wodehouse (****)  Cute and funny.  Wodehouse is some kind of genius. 

5. An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott (*****)  Such a sweet story.  The very beginning and the end are best.  This is another book that I find myself grinning like a fool as I read the end.  *sappy sigh*

6. Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson
(*****) I absolutely LOVED this book.  And for so many reasons.  Some of which I can't tell you because it would be giving away the whole story.  It is an excellently written, beautiful, touching story of a 16 year old girl proving up a homestead claim by herself.  A true coming of age story and I absolutely loved it.  I cried for both grief and joy.  Based on the homesteading experience of an actual young girl named Hattie Inez Brooks.  Read her story.  You will love it. 

7.  Horseradish, Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid by Lemony Snicket- (****)  If you like Lemony Snicket, you'll love his Horseradish.  Quite cunning.  :)

8.  Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse -(****)  Pretty funny.  :)

9.  Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman, An Assembly Such as This by Pamela Aiden- (***) This is my second time reading this series and I have to admit it's not quite as fun the second time around.  I feel like Aiden has a hard time filling the dead spaces in Austen's work and has to make up what Darcy is doing meanwhile.  There are too many passages that tell us in minute detail exactly how Darcy is training his dog or practicing fencing...  Anyway, I did like the book and I already checked out the sequel from the library. 

10.  The Golden Ball and other stories by Agatha Christie - (**)  Mostly ghost stories.  Not really my thing. 

11.   Poirot Loses a Client by Agatha Christie- (****)  I think this plot survives only because Christie is such an amazing writer.  She tells us EVERYTHING we need to know but in such a way that we all read ourselves right into the wrong ideas.  Amazing.

12. 
Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman, Duty and Desire by Pamela Aiden (***)  I like these books for several various reasons.  The whole concept of Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's point of view is interesting.  Also, I like the history and how we learn about the life of a gentleman in this time period and that's interesting too.  This book is a little different from the other two in the series.  Aiden is a bit at a loss for material since at this point chronologically in P&P we have no idea what Darcy is doing.  She spends the first half of the book with Darcy at Pemberly with Georgianna, his family, in London... all very nice and Darcy-like.  The second half of the book however takes a very non-Austen like turn and, while it's a not bad plot, and quite engaging, I have to say it really doesn't seem very Darcy-ish.  Anyway, in my opinion, Aiden should've left all of that out and made the series only two books rather than three.  The secondary plot could easily have been expanded to a full length novel perhaps featuring a different main character?  I don't know. Just my opinion.  I do like Fletcher.  :)

13.  The Feminine Minority, A Brief History of Feminism and the Modern Woman by Patricia Regar- (***)  As history lessons go, this book is phenomenal.  It's a clear, well-formulated look at the birth of the Feminist Movement.  The author makes some conclusions regarding the modern woman that I don't completely agree with, but I found the history very interesting and thought provoking.  I've had some good conversations on the subject brought on by reading this book.

14.  One, Two Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie- (****)  Another good Christie... :)
  It amuses me that so many of her mysteries are inspired by nursery rhymes. 


post signature

1 comment:

Rachel said...

An Old Fashioned Girl.... *smiling*

Related Posts with Thumbnails