Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Dear Mr. President

I bought a copy of this book when we were in Washington D.C. last summer from the National Archives gift shop. The shop itself was incredible. I could have happily spent the entire day paging through the books and admiring the civil war chess sets, elephant and donkey plush, etc.

My budget being limited and pretty much non-existent, I only splurged on one item.

I'm glad I picked this book. I've enjoyed picking it up on occasion and seeing what ordinary citizens had to say to their presidents. I thought I would share a couple of my favorites with you.


Jackie Ann Lucas to President Nixon:
Dear Mr. President,
I like your courage to pardon former President Nixon. Athough, I don't like to hear your speeches. You know I'am only 10 years old. I wish you would write me back.
Thank You,
Jackie Ann
Lucas
Head of
President Ford
Commity
(P.S. I'am a Republacan)
(sorry I don't know how to spell Republucan)
(P.S. please send me your autograph)
(I'am from Wright School!!!)

Telegram J.B. Manual to President Roosevelt:

PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT
WHITE HOUSE
JUST HEARD YOUR SPEECH IT CHEERED ME UP RECEIVED NOTICE TODAY THAT MY SON WAS KILLED IN SERVICE OF THE UNITED STATES AT PEARL HARBOR DECEMBER 7TH.
J.B. MANUAL.

Annie Davis to President Lincoln:

Mr. President
It is my desire to be free to got o see my people on the eastern shore. My mistress wont let me you will please let me know if we are free. and what I can do. I write you for advice. please send me word this week or as soon as possible and oblidge.
Annie Davis, Belair Hartford County, MD



2 comments:

Lady Dvora said...

Wow, that's a pretty interesting book Becca!

Valerie said...

I looooooooooove the National archives!

Related Posts with Thumbnails