Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Change and Hard TImes

What's a girl to do when she realizes she may have to leave the best working environment on the face of the earth?

I love my job. Love it. Love the flowers, the people, the creativity. I love the people I work with so much. My boss is the best. Just the best.

But, change happens. Life is always moving on when we're not ready for it.

I've always known that I would never be able to stay at the shop forever. It doesn't pay well enough for me to support myself longterm. I scrape by now, but only because I hold out hope that someday a "somebody that I'm longing to see" will come along.

But, it hasn't happened yet. So, reality crashes in. Ok, I can't live on this. Just can't.

So, this girl cries for a few days. Musters up the courage to talk to her boss about it. Blubbers and bawls her way through said conversation.

My boss is awesome. Really. She cried too. Hugged me. Gave me flowers and a raise, in "hope that it will help me stay a little longer." But, guess what? Even with the raise it's not enough. And the truth is she can't pay me enough. She knows it, and so she's promised me a job whenever I want it, for as long as I want it, but she'll let me go, even encourage me to do the best I can for myself.

I love her and I love the shop. I'm dreading going out into the world in search of something else that I can make a living at.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I've been reading your blog for some time. As a fellow single sister, I hear you. I'm nearly 24 and do not currently have a job that would provide enough for me to live outside my parents home. So that's where I am. There are great benefits: family interaction, opportunities for service, ability to save for the future, etc etc.
I too, am waiting for that someone I'm longing to see! It's really tough deciding at what point should I start making plans for the rest of my life, if I was to remain single. Do I wait, or move on?? Tough stuff.
Can I ask you what led to your decision of moving out of your parents home? I've really been longing to have a place of my own to decorate and love lately, so I'm curious about how your decision came about. And I'll be praying for your job hunt!

Nicky Story said...

Oh Becca,
I'm so sorry - I know how much you loved it there. God WILL provide - we have to believe that. I will pray for the perfect place - or the perfect change to come your way!!!
Love you!

Rebecca said...

Dear Anonymous,

I'm glad to meet you! It's always good to meet a someone that's in a similar situation!

In answer to your question about why we decided to move...
We prayed about it for a long time. Our parents prayed about with us. I'm not really sure what the deciding factor was to be honest. But, we all just felt it to be God's will for us at the time. My parents never thought that they would be supporting 25 year old women either! :-) And they always say that we can live with them anytime we want. But, they also understand the importance of making your own way in life and growing up.

Like I said: we rent from my dad, we live about 1 mile from home. We see our family almost every day.... it's really not bad at all!

Tricia said...

Ohh, that's sad. You won't be a flowershop girl anymore! :( I hope you find another job that suits you wonderfully.

Kristi said...

Wow, Rebecca,
I go out of town and away from my computer for 3 weeks and a lot happens... I'll be praying that the Lord gives you just the right job, one tailor made for you. And that you will know that He provided it, so nothing could shake you, even in tribulation...which worketh patience...which worketh experience... which worketh hope... and hope maketh not ashamed. He will do all things well for you.

Love you! God bless you!
Kristi

Related Posts with Thumbnails