Monday, May 19, 2008

Dr Jak's Color Wheel 101

Attention class! *peers over spectacles* this is a color wheel. (see below) There are many different types of color schemes using the colors shown in this wheel. For example. Monochromatic, Triad, and Complementary.
Today we're going to talk about the Analogous color scheme. Don't ask me how to pronounce it. :)

Analogous is a color scheme using 3 colors that are next door neighbors on the color wheel. Some examples are Red, Orange and Yellow. Blue, Purple and Violet are also analogous.

A little clue: the root word here is "analogy" which is a word meaning: "A resemblance of relations; an agreement or likeness"

The beauty of an analogous color scheme is it really complements itself. Pick a color. Any color. The two colors directly on it's right and left are it's two closest relatives. Think of it like a family. Brothers and sisters. They look, feel and sound a lot alike. They make each other stronger, by expressing the same opinion or making the same statement, but each with it's own flair.

Here's an Analogous color scheme. Blue, Turquoise, Lime Green.
Any of these colors by itself has a soothing, calm, tranquil feel to it. Makes me think of oceans and salt spray and summer. Put the three together and it's like adding a little cinnamon to your coffee. Warm and vigorous, but more so.
Add a hat in a coordinating color, if you didn't have time to blow dry your hair and then slept on it....
And coordinate your jewelry to punch the analogy even more. :)

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Very cool post Rebecca! I use color-wheels in jewelry design and card making. Anything that has to do with color will benefit from using a color wheel!

Serena said...

I'm somewhat obsessed with the color wheel. I reference it in my head at least a half-dozen times a day.

Kourtney Ann said...

Wow! I love your outfit!
I'll have to remember your tips!

Kristi said...

I learned a lot about the color wheel when I was at CHD. We had to know how to 'fix' hair color that was too yellow or gold, or orange or red... Or for that matter, if there was too much blue or purple undertones.

That aside though, I'd never heard about the analogous part of it. Very interesting and the pictures do a great job of illustrating your point.

Lydia Grace said...

OH, I LOOOOVE YOUR BLOG; I LOVE THE FLOWERS, I LOVE THE COLORS (ie. the cloth's colors!!!)!!!!! You got me "hooked" to your blog Miss! I love it. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails