Thursday, May 15, 2008

Prince Caspian: A Review

Wow. I promise not to give too much away. :) Promise.

To begin with, the beginning... :) It was disappointing. Really. For some reason it didn't start the way I thought it would... which isn't wrong, just got me on the wrong track. And, the idea of any of the Pevensies having rotten attitudes because they aren't being treated like Kings and Queens in England is a little... hard to swallow. And, things took a turn right away that was just... not true to the book.

HOWEVER.

That didn't seem to hurt anything! As the movie progressed I got much more excited. Much more! :)
May I say that Edmund has long been my favorite Pevensie. And it was absolutely delightful to see him as King Edmund the Just. Sends shivers down my spine.

Susan was also, surprisingly, very, very like-able. I do like Susan, don't get me wrong, but she's always been my least favorite of the four. She rose considerably in the ranks during this film.

Lucy was herself, adorable. :)

Peter, was very different. So.... human. It was rather hard to get used to, as he is in my mind "High King Peter" and sort of above human mistakes. But, a human Peter, who does make mistakes and becomes a stronger person for them, is maybe even more heroic.

Caspian. Wow. I so was expecting to not like him. Early reports had said he would be cocky. Ben Barnes is also older than the book Caspian and I thought that would be difficult to watch also. But, really, Caspian was very much like I imagined him from the books. He seemed young and innocent and very princely, with no idea how to lead. It was easy to get involved in his story and root for him.

Favorite new character? Reepicheep!!!
Telmarine: "You're a mouse!"
Reep: "Don't you people have any imagination?!"

Gotta love Reepicheep!

There were some new elements to the story that I found intriguing. The night raid on Miraz' castle for instance.

But, the movie also highlighted some of my absolute favorite scenes! And pulled them off exceptionallywell! For instance:
Peter and Miraz' battle: perfect.
Caspian galloping away from the castle as fireworks shoot into the sky overhead.
The Pevensies meeting Trumpkin for the first time, dripping wet.
Peter: "High King Peter (offering his hand) the Magnificent"
Trumpkin looks skeptical
Susan (to Peter): "You could have left off that last part"


Isis Mussenden once again did an outstanding job in the costume department. The Telmarines were pure genius. Everyone's Narnian costumes were breathtaking.

The music was gorgeous.

The overall look and feel of it was magical.

I can't wait for Voyage of the Dawn Treader :)

21 comments:

Lauren Christine said...

Oooooo, I can't wait to see it! :)

Stephanie said...

I can't wait...I'm not letting myself go until Tues. which is "cheap night". Somehow I can't justify shelling out $10 for a movie...plus snacks. Ahhh! Tues. is too far away!

Lady Dvora said...

Shall we see it next weekend together?

Rebecca said...

NEXT weekend?!? but... we won't have free tickets next weekend.

Lady Dvora said...

we won't?? Why won't we??

Rebecca said...

because our free passes aren't good until 2 weeks after a film has been released.

Lady Dvora said...

Ahhh, I'd forgotten about that. Ok TWO weekends from now??

Rebecca said...

sure! maybe mom will go with us!

Lady Dvora said...

I bet she will!! Joe, Lyd and I were telling her stories at lunch and she was excited about it!

Rebecca said...

Did you three give it all away! *glares*

Lady Dvora said...

We didn't!!! We told her we liked Ed and about his torch which she already knew about cause she read the book

Mac said...

Wow! So I'm like Mercy! Jak's got 11 comments on her post about PC! *goes to read all the interesting comments*

Oh never mind she and Deb are chatting......

Katie said...

But... Susie and I won't be here 2 weekends from now!!!! Can we go the Monday we get back?

Anonymous said...

Great review! Mom and I saw it yesterday. So good!!!!

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

and umm WHERE are you going??

oh, weddinig, never mind.

Serena said...

I'm so excited about Reepicheep! And so glad I read this review. Now I'll go to it prepared for a not-wonderful beginning.

Kourtney Ann said...

Ooooo!!! I cant wait to see it!!!!!!!!!!!:D YAY!

Anonymous said...

Oops that^ was me...

Moriah A. said...

I saw it and LOVED it!! It was sooo Awesome! Thanks for the review it was great!

Tricia said...

I really, really liked this movie. To say it was better than the LWW would be an understatement for me. Edmund (especially in that scene with Miraz) was awesome, as was Reepicheep. Caspian was pretty cool too. I'm still waiting to like Peter...Susan could've done without all that fighting ("Brace yourselves!"), but I still liked her. Yeah, Voyage of the Dawn Treader will be incredible--hopefully!!

Anonymous said...

the makers of Prince Caspian kept to the original story in some ways and strayed in others... i heard they were going to make it into a silly pure-action flick, but thankfully this was not the case

Related Posts with Thumbnails