Monday, October 13, 2008

The Road to October... Church Picnic Style


"Baseball, to me, is still the national pastime because it is a summer game.  I feel that almost all Americans are summer people, that summer is what they think of when they think of their childhood.  I think it stirs up an incredible emotion within people." ~Steve Busby, in Washington Post, 8 July 1974


I agree.  Baseball, to me, is nostalgic.  I didn't really play as a child.  Not officially anyway.  And I was never any good.  But, I did go to baseball games.  And I did love that smell of the dirt and the turf and the hot dogs... and the thumping sound of the ball coming home to the glove... and the organ playing 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame'... and all 50,000 fans doing the "wave"....  good times. :)

We played a little baseball ourselves after church last Sunday. 

Here's Luke  being Yadier Molina
I don't know who he is imitating in this picture, but I think the blurry word 'Slugger' is appropriate.

Even Sarah B. plays...

With a little help from "Uncle David"

There are 3 of my siblings in this picture... I don't think any of them caught the ball... but don't they look like they're having a blast?

2 comments:

Katie said...

No, none of us caught the ball, I was close when I suddenly realized Luke was in front of me, and I missed, I probably wouldn't have caught it anyway...

Anonymous said...

That looks like fun!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails