Thursday, September 20, 2007

On Aging


I deliver flowers to lots of people, in lots of different situations. It's quite an experience. You just never know what you're going to walk into.


The other day I drove to a retirement home and climbed a flight of stairs lugging a *heavy* vase of 2 dozen pink roses. I knocked on the door and a little old grandma answered the door. She was small, approx. 5'2", 100 lbs maybe soaking wet, 85-ish... I carried the flowers in to her apartment and set them on the kitchen counter, per the customers' request. The little "grandma" was just delighted.
"Oh, aren't they beautiful! Thank you so much!!!"
Then, with a sly look at me and a little elbow poke in my rib... "It really pays to get older."
I couldn't help giggling a little. "I'll remember that!"
"Oh, honey," she said "I wouldn't try it."
Uh... I'm not sure how I can avoid it....

2 comments:

Incomplete said...

Don't grow up if you don't have to, right?

Wonderland here we come!

Where ever she's preaching, that's where I want to attend.

Speaking of Peter Pan, have you ever seen Finding Neverland? I recomend it if you haven't. It raises a very good question: Why do we have to loose our child like quallities? Naturally we can't conduct our lives as children, that's just foolish, but the abillity to enjoy life like a child, find the simple pleasures, not take anything too seriously, nuture our God given imaginations, not murder them by starvation.

Incomplete said...

Oh yeah, I thought you were going to relate how she had some 90 year old beaux who was wooing here. THAT would be funny. Not "Ha Ha" but humurous.

Related Posts with Thumbnails