Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The young girl passed...

... And in passing she looked at him.

She looked at him steadily, with a sweet and thoughtful look

which made Marius tremble from head to foot.

It seemed to him that she reproached him for having been so long without coming to her,

and that she said:

"It is I who have come."

Marius was bewildered by these eyes

full of flashing light and fathomless abysses.


He felt as though his brain were on fire.

She had come to him, what happiness!!

And then, how she had looked at him!

She seemed more beautiful than she had ever seemed before.

Beautiful with a beauty which combined all of the woman with all of the angel,

a beauty which would have made Petrarch sing and Dante kneel.

He felt as though he was swimming in the deep-blue sky.

At the same time he was horrible disconcerted,

because he had

a little dust

on his boots.


-Les Miserables

Victor Hugo

4 comments:

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

"We are all of us, fools in love."

Wow, that's funny and wonderful in the same way. But it kind of makes you sad too. Maybe I dhould do that for compitition:-)

Kristi said...

I say, he sure put it into words well, didn't he? And I think Lydia did too, with her quote.

Emotions... so powerful - I'm thankful that God gives us strength to be in control of them (hard as that may be sometimes). Proverbs 4:32
"Keep thy heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life." The key is, to get ahold and in control of them right at the beginning.

Well, talking from personal experience there. I'll stop for now!

Mac said...

Kristi You're so funny! I hear you!! That is so funny Becca. It's so much fun to read that part of the book because you get to laugh at Marius the whole time! He's just a stitch!!! Talk about a fool in Love!!! "Marius You're late. What's wrong today.....I am a agog, I am aghast, is Marius in Love atlast? I've never seeing him ohhh and ahhh......It's better then an Opera!!!!"

Lady Dvora said...

"She was just like a ghost to me." Marius tells you exactly what he's feeling doesn't he? Great quote Becca, I love the irony in it:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails