Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dr.Jak's How To Stay Warm and Look Fun in The Winter

Looking cute and fashionable in the winter can be a challenge. And I will be the first to admit that there are days when all I want to wear is jeans and a sweatshirt and I don't even care how I look!

Here's some quick tips to help you stay fashionable and warm at the same time:

1. We have to wear coats and hats, scarves and mittens so why not invest in some cute outerwear options? I love to mix and match scarves and hats, and try to match the colors with what I'm wearing at the time. Most of us don't have a budget that allows for endless coats and accessories, so when you do pick out a winter coat make sure you put plenty of thought into it. I like to stay away from black and brown and stick with more neutral colors that will go with any outfit.

Then I go crazy with accessories! If you're a knitter or crocheter go ahead and make some pretty scarves and hats and mix them up! Try different color combinations!

Check out the web for pictures of colors and textures to inspire you!
2. Wear Longjohns/Leggings, whatever.  They are a great investment I promise you! 
3.  Layers!  Layers are very popular and lucky for us very warm.  And here's a hint: Don't pack away your summer clothes.  Keep them as options right along with your winter wardrobe.  Wear a summer top with a long sleeved blouse underneath, throw a sweater and scarf over top and you're ready to go!  I've also seen a lot of people wearing capris or shorts with cute leggings and boots.  And summer skirts are totally ok, too!  Wear them with tights and boots or jeans.  There are no rules.  Use your creative juices and...
4.  Just because it's winter don't be afraid of using color.  On dreary days color is exactly what we need!
5.  Accessorize!  Accessories are a great way to bring color and style into any outfit.  A chunky necklace will totally dress up jeans and plain shirt.  Wear a pretty scarf in your hair, or tie it around your waist, or neck. 
6.  Don't be afraid to try something new!  Mix and match your jewelry.  Check out the vintage scarves at the thrift store.  Wear a summer top with a winter skirt.  Maybe buy a color you've never tried before?  I promise you'll feel adventurous!

3 comments:

Melissa Murphy said...

Okay, my biggest HATE about winter is that I can never, EVER find anything to wear with skirts.

I am shoe/boot retarded, I swear.

I can make an outfit any day in the summer... Me and sandals afe BFF. But for reals.

What do you wear on your feetsies in the winter with skirts?!

Rebecca said...

Mel In the winter I do everything I can to wear as many layers as POSSIBLE on my legs. 'Cause I'm SO cold!! Lately we've had 5 foot drifts of snow in front of our house and snow all over the ground and I can't stand wet feet. SO. Depending on the length of the skirt I normally wear fashion boots. I have two pairs (black and brown) that come up to just below my knees. Then I wear leggings underneath the skirt and maybe leg warmers and two pairs of socks too. Super long skirts are awesome, because they hide all of this extra stuff. And boots look cute peeking out of them. I wear boots with short, knee-length skirts too. I don't even care if the leggings underneath show as long as the color is commplimentary to the rest of my outfit. SO, to answer your question: mostly boots. If not boots than flats. Flats look best with a long skirt, heels with a shorter skirt. However, heels are the bane of my existence. I'm not coordinated enough to wear them, and I don't feel like taking my life in my hands just to be 2 inches taller.

Hope that ramble-y answer sort of helps?

Emily said...

Great ideas, as always, Rebecca!

Related Posts with Thumbnails