Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Overcoming

This past week for me has been about stretching my own limits. Facing my fears. Discovering pain. Frustration. Grief. Realizing once again the shortness and insecurity of my own life.

It began last Wednesday with the death of my Great Grandma.  The week spiraled into a flurry of rearranging plans, organizing and trying to make arrangements.  Mom and Katie and Steph and I left early Friday morning to head to Great Grandma's house where we helped other family members go through her things.  Some of it we gave away.  Some we kept as mementos.  Some we wondered at.  Many, many things sparked "do you remember when's?"  We laughed and cried and missed her and Great Grandpa a whole lot.

So, we had the funeral, and we said good-bye at the grave.

And we came home worn out and emotionally exhausted and trying to imagine that we could just go back to 'normal' life.

But, I decided I should probably pay attention to the sore throat I've had for a few days, that wasn't going away and was awfully reminiscent of the strep I've already had twice this year.  My younger siblings all had strep only a week ago, and I guess I didn't stay away like I thought I did... ooops...

So, I never went back to work this week.  Instead I'm staying home and resting and reading and sleeping and thinking a lot.

Frustration is an underlying emotion that goes hand in hand with grief.  It also hangs out with sickness and depression.

Which just gives me one more thing to overcome....

1 comment:

Lil red said...

I'm so sorry about your Great Grandma. I can kind of relate to how you felt/feel. This summer has been a rough one for my family. We've struggled with not knowing where we are going to live, my mom's cancer and now my grandma's cancer. But God is good, and it's only by His strength and grace that we can get through it.

Oh btw, the curtains you made for you house are super cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails